APIStrat 2016 (Boston)
Boston is awesome.
Every time I go to an API conference I get inspired.
- Other Stuff
Be considerate of the API consumers.
"Consider the client; the consumers of APIs should be at the forefront of planning and development rather than an afterthought."
"Just because you are correct doesn't mean that I am wrong. You just aren't seeing things from my perspective."
How the API is being supported: documentation, SDKs and libraries, usage patterns, change notices, maintenance schedules.
Delight the developers.
Keep in mind the larger picture; don't get lost in the details.
Questions to answer
- How will the API fit into the existing ecosystem?
- How will the ecosystem respond to an additional API?
- Who will maintain the higher view and who will dive into the minutiae?
- How will new APIs affect SLAs?
Do not be ignorant of where data is being stored.
We should focus on making the lives of our fellow humans better.
- API tokens tied to a version of the API; upgrades are explicit
- Schedule "blackout" testing - when preparing to deprecate functionality to prove early-adopters are ok
- Oracle v Google was a silly court case
- Communication is hard! Understanding is necessary for transformation
- Hypermedia still hasn't become widespread; because:
- Hypermedia is complex
- Tooling is lacking