Rocket Mortgage / Quicken Loans
Apr 2012 - Dec 2021
Mar 2018 - Dec 2021
Guided and developed an SRE team of software and systems engineers responsible for the reliability of client and partner-facing digital storefronts, critical company infrastructure, post-incident response, root cause analysis, API development, and ad hoc projects.
- Ensured incident root causes were deeply researched and oversaw planning to prevent regressions.
- Managed development of a highly scalable leads ingestion API, handling a large portion of external integrations for third-party lead purchasing.
- Spearheaded the development of a status page aggregation to improve visibility of systems availability during incidents and outages.
- Authored an SRE Manifesto to organize expectations of the role across the company.
- Built and systematized a Community of Practice for SRE and introduced monthly Lean Coffee sessions to share lessons learned and details of current projects to increase transparency.
- Drove the adoption of SRE best practices around Service Level Agreements (SLA) and Service Level Objectives (SLO) and adoption of Service Level Indicators (SLI) to track uptime as an enterprise SLA.
- Led the team implementing multi-region infrastructure changes - as terraform templates - following AWS best practices.
- Championed work on automated observability testing in preparation for chaos engineering.
- Defined SRE team Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and coached other leaders in producing their OKRs.
- Fostered a healthy team culture and championed diversity & inclusion.
- Achieved 97% retention and increased team diversity to 40%.
- Mentored team members via regular 1:1s; achieved a 50% promotion rate.
- Transitioned - a team of 10 - to be 100% remote during Covid.
Nov 2015 - Mar 2018
Promoted to a hybrid role with a mix of technical responsibilities related to an AWS migration and transition to REST while also taking on expanded responsibilities in mentoring and coaching teams.
- Named to a team focused on migration strategy from on-prem to cloud-first with AWS.
- Contributed to decision-making for AWS services (Fargate, EC2, API Gateway, DynamoDB, S3, Aurora, and others), cost versus performance trade-offs, and subject matter expertise for HTTP API decisions.
- Defined enterprise standards for AWS and championed their adoption.
- Defined strategy for an enterprise-wide integration platform and articulated value proposition to obtain buy-in on REST and API-first adoptions from hesitant engineering teams.
- Directed a data-driven vendor evaluation and drove final decision resulting in multi-million dollar deals with Mulesoft (ESB and API Gateway) and Software AG (MQ). ESB and MQ were optional, whereas API Gateway was required to ensure security and consistency across the enterprise.
- Evangelized the adoption of the API Gateway and advised teams on migrating hundreds of services to the new platform. Improving reliability, availability, maintainability, and security (RAMS).
- Played a critical technical role in a six-month effort to improve services scalability in preparation for Rocket Mortgage’s Super Bowl commercial; expected to raise the company’s profile and lead to significant traffic.
- Built a custom web app that showed API definitions were valid and deployable and included an automated deployment tool built via Python API and Angular SPA.
- The new tooling reduced API review time by 90% and design time by 40%.
- Facilitated learning sessions for teams working through migrations from SOAP to REST.
- Reviewed and approved API Gateway pull requests and deployments to production.
Senior Software Engineer
Apr 2012 - Nov 2015
Hired to Quicken Loans as one of the first software engineers assigned to a 30-member team focused on ideation for a new project that would later become Rocket Mortgage and grow to $40B annual sales.
- Proposed, presented, and developed an innovative solution using a DSL for mortgage pricing calculation to improve UX, increase performance >10x, and reduce user effort in editing by 70%.
- Consulted with teams on web accessibility, JS frameworks and toolsets, and engineering best practices.
- Built client experience for a refinance program that achieved $12B in first-year earnings.
Centurion Medical Products
Sep 2010 - Apr 2012
Senior Software Engineer
- Collaborated with leaders from Marketing and Technology to produce a new corporate website.
- Migrated source control from Microsoft TFS 2010 to Git.
Michigan State University - Academic Information Systems
Sep 2008 - Jun 2010
- Evangelized browser-stack standards, guidelines, and best practices.
- Modernized technology for version control and CI/CD.
Michigan State University - International Business Center
Apr 2003 - Sep 2008
- Developed interactive automated event scheduling utility
- Spearheaded academic publishing book review system
- Crafted a simple UI for multiple international time-series datasets
- Optimized a custom content management system (CMS) for student contributors
Michigan State University
Telecommunication, Information Studies, and Media - BA
- Study Abroad: The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, and Germany
- Student Greenhouse Project website
Aquamen Landscaping, White Lake, MI
Apr 2001 - Aug 2005
- Designed and installed landscapes and built structures
- Collected accounts payable and purchased requisite supplies
Meridian Lawn Care & Snow Removal, Meridian Twp, MI
Feb 2003 - Sep 2004
- Collaborative design with customers
- Purchased materials for landscapes in excess of $50,000
Case Residence Hall Cafeteria [MSU], East Lansing, MI
Mar 2002 - Apr 2003
- Prepared and served food - 2000 meals per day
- Mentored 3 students per semester in proper food preparation
Cobra Enterprises, Madison Heights, MI
Jun 1999 - Jan 2002
- Refined production of multi-million dollar prototype manufacturing jobs
- Modified machining techniques to reduce down time
- Verified quality control specifications
Video Giant, Sterling Heights, MI
Sep 1996 - Apr 1999
- Regulated inventory and reduced theft in 7 stores
- Employee relations including: scheduling, hiring, and firing
- Trained 40 employees each year
Wheeler & Sons Construction, Independence Twp, MI
May 1996 - Aug 1996
- Basic structural framing in residential housing
- Manual labor organizing building materials
Sweetwater’s Bistro, Keego Harbor, MI
Sep 1994 - May 1996
- Mediated service of an average of 900 meals per night
- Adapted to work in high demand environments